Thursday, January 21, 2010

Jeans made for 5 inch heels?!?! Anyone!?!?

I had to hem a pair of my jeans today, and I actually have 1 or 2 more that need hemming.  This is a first for me.  I'm tall.  I have tried to tell myself it's because my height is in my body more than in my legs, but that doesn't make sense since for the last 20 years of being the height I am now, I haven't had to hem jeans before now.  My petite mom figured it out quickly.  She said they are being made to be worn with 5 inch heels! 

Five inch heels look good on some people, but I have yet to meet someone who feels good in their five inch heels.  Maybe they exist, but some of us don't want to be five inches taller than we are!  At 5 foot 8 inches, I would be a healthy 6 foot 1 in shoes that would keep my jeans from dragging.  And I would be looking down on most of the people in my world.  I already do that.  I wear 2 inch heels at the very most - and only if they are very comfortable. 

I have recently found two pairs of shoes that are joining my jeans in the "wear everyday" repertoire.  One is a pair of silver ballet flats the other a pair of red boots - also not much of a heel.  When I wear my jeans that are meant to be worn with five inch heels, my jeans drag with every step.  I feel like a teenage-wannabe when I really don't wannabe a teenager.  So that led to me FINALLY hemming my jeans. 

But before I could even get started, I had to go to the fabric store to buy some necessities that you need to hem jeans.  Since I have never had to hem jeans and as I have broken several needles lately on other projects, I got a special needle for sewing denim.  I also tried to find the right color to match that yellowish brown hue that is used to do all the top-stitching on denim.  Let's just say, I'll have to hunt a little more for that shade.  Mine is glowing just a bit from the fixed hem in one pair of jeans.

Now my question is, what does every other purchaser of jeans do with these extra long pants?  Very few of my friends sew.  Why, I ask, do such fads have to be so erksome to the everyday woman?  How about the short t-shirts?  Oh, dear, was I ever up a creek.  As I said before, most of my height is in my torso, so finding a shirt long enough was near to impossible.  I am so excited about these longer version that are out now, I'm storing up for when the fad goes the other way again.  But back to jeans, what do carpool moms do with ridiculously long jeans if they don't sew?  I guess we will soon find out.  Maybe they will cut them off and let them be ratty, give in and find some heels to prance around in (I don't think so) or let them drag as I was doing for a few weeks or roll them up?  Maybe we will bring back that crazy thing we did in the late eighties of pulling our jeans off to one side and then rolling them up twice. (I hope not.)

Well, if you are in need of new jeans, you may need to adjust your height according to whether or not you will be wearing those honkin' heels.  For me, I might have been okay in the "short" style of my jean, but I don't recall seeing any.  (Hunting for jeans that fit is another whole matter.)  Or, if you have a sewing machine, go invest in a denim needle and some thick thread yellowish brown in nature.  Who knows, maybe they will get us back to sewing yet.  Project Runway has made me want to sew again, but then I couldn't find material I liked- even asked Carol Hannah Whitfield when she was in my hubby's office over Christmas getting her teeth whitened where she bought material when she lived here. . . she said come to New York!  There is a whole block full of wonderful fabrics.  Oh, well, maybe I could go visit.  Until then, I think I'll be hemming my pants.

No comments: