Thursday, December 30, 2010

Southern Snow


Add caption
The following is a post that I started but didn't complete after February 2010's snow.  Though a bit late, it still seems a little appropriate since we just had a WHITE CHRISTMAS!!!  I will work on a post about that soon, but until then, you can enjoy this one.  And I may post some on how to fix your pictures if your pictures turn out as these did.  Thanks to my photography teacher, I have corrected these pictures in Photoshop Elements.

This afternoon I thought about how special Southern Snow is.  We don't get it very often, and when we do it doesn't last very long.  A few years ago it started snowing in the evening and I finally lost the battle of trying to keep our three guys inside.  I kept thinking they could play the next morning, (but by the next morning it was gone - the snow had turned to rain.)  When they went out at 9pm we found that many of our neighbors were out building snowmen and sledding.  Then the next morning they had to go to school. 
Another interesting thing about Southern Snow is that the whole world stops.  We don't have all the equipment to clear the roads, and besides that, no one knows how to drive in snow anyway, so it is very dangerous to drive - even if you do know how to drive in snow - because no one else knows what they are doing. 
Today, though, I was thinking that if we had snow all the time it would get old fast and we wouldn't enjoy it as much as we do.  Let me set the scene for the next picture.  I have a rather large zoom lens on my camera, so I am not as close to these guys as it appears.  I really didn't think I was at risk.  I TOLD them to throw snowballs at me . . . and being obedient sons and neighbors . . . they did . . .
See that one on the right side of the picture.  With the blond hair.  The one that looks like he just pitched a baseball at his mom?  Yes, that's my middle son.
and it appears he has a future in baseball.  Possibly pitching.
  Yes, that is a close up of a snowball.  From the inside of the snowball.  I'm surprised it took at all.

Here he is very relieved that mom has a sense of humor and didn't get hurt by the camera smashing into her face.
This picture, though adorable, show cases what happens when you are still learning or not learning to adjust white balance.  Everything appears blueish.




And here is how we entertain on snow days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes! I've just started this blogging endeavor and I'm sure to need lots of tips! LOVE the snow pictures and sweet comment about the snowball from Grayson and laughter from you...dear.