Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Forgetful Tooth Fairy

The Tooth Fairy visited our house again.  My youngest is trying to catch up.  He lost his first tooth on the first day of January - 2010 and now his second tooth on the first day of February. 

Unfortunately, the Tooth Fairy must have had an important hockey game or something, because he didn't make it to our house Monday night.  I tried to make amends by taking him to see the new movie that is out called . . . The Tooth Fairy.  Seemed a bit appropriate.

Tuesday night as he was headed to bed, he came up and said to me, "Mommy, I sure hope the Tooth Fairy comes tonight."  I quickly texted a reminder to TF to remember our house. 

I'm quite sure he doesn't really believe, but we are both having fun playing along.  At Christmas we haven't played the Santa game.  Last year we talked about the real St. Nicholas.  This year when I started kidding about all the work Santa (ie: me) had to do, my youngest piped up, "Maha-Meee, Santa's Dead!!"  Well, that's a little harsh, but I had to admit, it was true.  We had a little chat about not saying that to his classmates, but I don't know how well he listened.

Well, Santa may be dead at our house, but the Tooth Fairy (though not always on time) lives.  One night I got home from some errands to find a note written out across several sheets of notebook paper and taped to the back door.  It said in pencil with many misspellings, "Mommy, please remind the Tooth Fairy that I lost a tooth today." 

One of my favorite "Mommy tidbits" is:  go to the bank and get silver dollars, gold dollars and two dollar bills (for front teeth or especially brave extractions).  I usually tell my boys to keep their special coins and dollars and I will give them "regular" money to spend.

No comments: