Sunday, March 20, 2011

Indian Summer Black-Eyed Susans

Eight years ago this coming summer we moved into our current home on Dandelion Trail.  It was just being finished and so had not a plant in the yard.  Yard?  How about Carolina (or rather Clemson) orange clay mud.  We did have sod put down - having three little boys and white carpets in several rooms, there didn't seem to be any other options.  We had left behind a yard that we had also started from scratch but was then filled with flowers and bushes and trees.  It was hard to have a vision for what our new yard would become. 

It was the beginning of July when we moved in, and it was blazing hot.  I went up to Lowes to see what I could add to our yard in blazing July and found one of my favorite purchases. 

Black-eyed Susans.  Indian Summer variety.  They were gorgeous.  Huge.  And bright Yellow. 

I splurged and bought 15.  It was one of the best splurges I have ever made.  Every year they have returned.  They are not guaranteed to come back, but with a little bit of attention I have made my 15 plant purchase multiply almost unbelievably.  I think I re-planted at least 50 plants last spring.

The purple coneflower has paid back well too and returns every year without any extra attention.

So too with my several varieties of daisies,
but the daisies don't live all summer like the black-eyed susans do.

But these are my babies.  I had a scare about 4 summers ago.  They all got mildew on them and then died out early.  It was awful.  I didn't know if they would return the next spring.  When they did I was so relieved and started experimenting with ways to keep them coming back. 

Last year I decided to try dividing them and learned the hard way that Indian Summer Black-Eyed Susans don't like to be split.  I think all the ones I split died, but the babies that I repotted and moved to better spots - thrived! 

This time of year can worry me.  The weeds are in heaven and taking over.  My hubby as well as our occasional landscaper friend wants to rid the yard of all weeds.  But right now, all my perennials are growing right next to the weeds.  Yes, the first year, I lost several plants to weed killer.  So I get a little nervous waiting for them to start showing their pretty flowers so it is obvious that they are flowers.

This is one plant in front.  It produces a plethora of beauty from May through October.  In the background is a different type of purple coneflower - I think it is called Texas coneflower.  It has spread all across my front garden.

In about 4 to 6 weeks I should have a bunch ready to transplant.  I'd be glad to share.  Come by and I'll give you one for your yard. 

No comments: