Sunday, March 20, 2011

Some Pelican Pics and and few more from a wonderful Florida Vacation

Well, I was trying to upload some pictures to blog about. Then I changed my mind and hit cancel. Now the bloomin' site won't go to my computer so I can pick the pictures I wanted to upload. So, instead of pictures of my favorite flowers that I was going to blog about, you get a picture of a funny pelican that I took in Florida a few weeks ago. He was balancing on the front of the boat and those webbed feet were working overtime to keep him on this thin edge of the boat.


 
I got the picture thing fixed and decided to stick with the Pelican theme.  I Really like this guy napping!  I have always seen pelicans at the beach, but this was the first time I found out where pelicans hang out during the day - or in between their beautiful flights over the ocean.  They go to the marinas.  The find a post or a boat to hang out on, and if they are lucky, someone will come in from fishing and clean the fish near them. . . that's what they are really hanging out waiting for - free lunch.  This guy was dreaming about his lunch.

He was watching me waiting for me to fall in the water while taking his picture.  I know he would have laughed.

This was Grayson's birthday - and his birthday present from Grandma and Grandpa.  They came by our trailer at 8:30 in the morning while we were all still schnozzing and took him off for a special breakfast - he had pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream.  Then they took him to Cowabunga Surf Shop for a boogie board - - - well, this long board caught his eye instead (most likely because it had yellow wheels - he is a sucker for anything yellow)  When he came in from his special date with Grandma and Grandpa - his eyes were twinkling and he was smiling from ear to ear! 

That night we celebrated his birthday on the beach with friends watching the full moon rise.  Jim Moir suggested I try some silhouette shots and this is what I came up with for Grayson's birthday picture.  He decided this night that this is where he wants to celebrate his birthday from now on - - at the Beach. 

After a few experiments with me laying on my belly in the sand and playing with my settings, Jim shot this one for me.  That is the moon, not the sun.  Thanks, Jim.

And one last one of the funny pelicans waiting for their free lunch.  The guy was actually cleaning fish right next to where I was sitting to get this shot and there were about 15 pelicans all swimming right in front of him.

No comments: