Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Light

"I AM the Light of the World." 
I love that Jesus used illustrations, and I don't even know that illustration is the right word here , because in heaven, He truly is THE Light!  This idea could bear much contemplation, and I hope that just this introduction will get you thinking about our need for Jesus as the Light, but I'm not going to think through it all in my blog.

Actually, I wanted to tell you about the lights that I use this time of year.  I think they help.  If you put in "light therapy, or SAD or sunlamp," in your browser, you will come up with a lot of places that sell lights that help with the Winter Blues.  I bought one 2 years ago.  It is from Northern Lights Technologies  http://www.northernlighttechnologies.com/.  I bought "the Flamingo".  It was about 200.00 at the time.  Kind of tough to fork that out for a therapy lamp, but the amount I spend yearly in medicine is much more than that. 

Also on that site is a "Feel Bright Light Visor."  My mom and I have gotten so tickled about just the thought of buying each other those hats and wearing them around the house, that that has been its own therapy without us even purchasing it.  (I think these people have been much more considerate about naming their products - even the next product a "Happy Light" - doesn't just the name make you happier.  Would you want to buy it if it was named the "SAD light"????? )

Well, this Christmas, Walgreens had on sale a "Happy Light" by Verilux on sale for 29.99.  It was/is a much smaller light that can sit right next to your computer (and I have one glowing up at me right now).  I grabbed one then and just this week went back for two more.  I gave Mom the first one for Christmas, and then bought one for my husbands front office staff and one for me.  This one is much smaller than the 200.00 version and much easier to move from place to place.  However, it also is much lower in "LUX."  Huh?  My big one has 10,000 LUX.  This little desk version has 2,500 LUX.  http://www.amazon.com/Verilux-Natural-Spectrum-HappyLite-VTCP01/dp/B001O2JTEQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1294507219&sr=8-5  Here it is on Amazon, and if you read the fine print, it says it delivers a combined amount of 5,000 LUX - they are selling you two lights, so, individually, they are 2500 LUX. 

Just a little bit of personal history on some of this and then I'll stop advertising.  A few winters ago I was having one of my worst winters ever.  We were struggling to get my medicine right and test different hormone levels and overall it was just awful.  In February of that year I was a MESS.  We had been planning a skiing trip for a weekend that the boys had a few extra days off, but the closer it got, the more I was freaking out about just the idea of being cold.  We made a last minute decision to go south and warm up my bones.

We took a quick trip to Disney and for 2 1/2 days I felt good or rather, better - MUCH better.  It was actually crazy how much better I felt.  I smiled, I laughed, I wasn't panicky or nervous, I enjoyed my family and I think they enjoyed me!  The change was extreme.  Half way home in the middle of Georgia I started crying again - no reason, just started crying.  I was born in Florida.  We made several long trips from Alabama to Miami when I was a kid to visit my Grandparents, and because of those long, boring, flat, hot, longer trips, I have never wanted to live there.  Ever.  Until recently, Until that trip. 

That trip was my stimulus for light therapy research.  About that time I also tried going to the tanning bed.  Sounds crazy, but that too seemed to help.  Whatever works.  Inside I was craving sunshine.  And our trip to Disney was an accidental experiment with amazing results.         

I know, sounds crazy, but "it is what it is."  (The 2010 saying of the year.)

I don't go much [to the tanning bed] just this time of year until spring finally pops its head out, and I don't get burned quite so bad from our first lake trip - because by then I could just lay in the sun all day and become a lobster. 

In the last few years there has been a lot of talk and more doctors are checking Vitamin D levels and finding them extremely low especially in women, so I take Vitamin D as one of my many vitamins.

If you are struggling with SAD or depression, keep trying.  Keep looking.  Find what helps you!  And pass on what does!  I hope this helps someone.

No comments: