Monday, January 17, 2011

Snow Day # 2: My unplanned adventure

I wish you could see the intensity that was in this moment.  We have a bird feeder hanging above this window, and occasionally a bird rests on the windowsill here.  Rex, our beloved Boykin Spaniel, is supposed to be be bird hunting dog, but he's really more of a part of the family.  He had his nose pressed up to the window and was almost cross-eyed with concentration on the little birds outside.  You can see he has wiped his nose all over the window.  Nice. 


This awesome thermometer was one of my Christmas presents.  From me to me.  I hope this snow and ice won't ruin it.  It has a story.  I had one like it, but it was many years old, yellowed and cracked with age, so I tossed it.  (3 years ago)  Then started looking for another - just like it.  Didn't want one with pictures on it or the really fancy ones that cost a hundred bucks - just a plain one that was easy to read.  Been looking every spring and summer when the deck furniture comes out. . .  Three years later, Found it!!  Ten bucks.  Stored it with all the other Christmas presents in my closet.  Then dropped my boots on it and cracked the face.  (*rolling eyes many times*)  YES, it was the last one!!  The other ones were in rainbow shades and you couldn't have read the numbers!!!  So, I went across town and tried at the other ACE Hardware (love that store).  Ahh, they had another.  Another ten bucks, wrap it up and three years after I threw away my old one, I found what I was looking for.  And they think we don't know anything about hunting.  That's my type of hunting!

This is the beginning of my unplanned adventure.  I am going to find the boys.  They called about 20 minutes ago and told me they are just down the street sledding.  I am going to take pictures.  I have my fancy camera in hand - the one I would probably risk breaking an arm or a leg to keep it from falling and getting broken.  That is important for you to know as this adventure begins.  Notice the ice.  Now, don't get too excited, I'm gonna go ahead and tell you that I didn't fall - just so you aren't disappointed. 

Okay, out of the garage, now for the driveway.

This is the neighbors house across the street.  I trudged up to their front door and out of breath rang the doorbell to see if Kelly wanted to come out and play - or rather go with me to find our boys and watch them play.  She didn't answer.  I messed up their mostly unmarked front yard by marching through it.  The snow is very crunchy because of the thick layer of ice that is now on top of all that soft fluffy stuff from yesterday.

Okay,  I am one house away from mine.  See that hill up ahead?  That is where my boys said they were sledding.  It is very slippery out here. The road is almost impossible to walk on, the sidewalk is close to that and it is most safe, but difficult walking in the yards - a little more traction, but also a lot of work. 

That is a lot of ice.  Crossing Driveways is life-endangering.
Oh, and that hill I was headed to?  I made it.  They weren't there.  Nobody was there.  The whole neighborhood is strangely quiet.  Where are my kids?  WHERE ARE ANY ONE'S KIDS??

I have just stopped at a friend's house, whose boys are probably with my boys.  They directed me to the back of the neighborhood which is several blocks this way.  Normally not a big deal.  Today, THAT IS A VERY BIG DEAL!!  So, by now I have shed my cozy sweat shirt and left it at my friend's house because I am getting a work out and have started sweating in my ski pants, numerous socks, and down jacket.  And . . . I have called my dear husband and asked him where he is with "my" four-wheel truck and "my" four-wheeler that I have never really ever needed or used up until today.  Yes, I was having a little pity party that was rapidly gonna turn into a Hissy Fit if I didn't quick get control of myself. 

I am starting to see the possibility for a blog post by now, so I am snapping pictures with that in mind, and that is helping me see the little bit of humor in my excursion. 
Here is the house that was for sale at the same time as ours and was in the running for being "Our House." 
It didn't make the cut.  But it was/is a very pretty house.

Still no kids.  Just crossed paths with my friend Kelly and her daughter who said she slipped coming up this hill and had to crawl across some one's driveway.  They seem to be having about as much fun as I am having.  But they DO know that the boys (one of hers, three of mine and 2 of my other friend's that I left my jacket at their house 10 minutes ago.) are around the corner. 
Still Crunching.

No kids this way either.  This was almost creepy not finding the kids from our neighborhood anywhere.  But I couldn't have done a darn thing about it if someone had come and taken them! So much for taking care of my kids . . . I am busted.

I am starting to hear yells and there are a few specks in this picture that are kids sledding - still don't know if they are mine or not - I don't care whose kids they are.  I'm gonna take pictures of them and put them in my book.

Just a little further to go.

I was here for 5 minutes taking pictures before they even noticed me.  And then they said, "Oh, hi, Mommy, how long have you been here."  I just smiled and said, "Oh, a little while."  I didn't want to spoil the fun, so I swallowed the lecture about calling me to tell me that they had changed locations, and we just had fun.  And I took pictures.  The good ones are in the Next blog.

No comments: