Saturday, January 1, 2011

My story: Part I Endocrinology

HE LOVES ME!!
(No, not my Endocrinologist.)
I go to an Endocrinologist.  Several times year.  She is finally convinced (as I have been pretty sure of for about 13 years) that I have hypothyroidism.  That just means I don't have enough thyroid hormone.  In my humble opinion I could possibly have been low on thyroid most of my life, but I am convinced that I have been low since half-way through my first pregnancy when I suddenly jumped in pregnancy weight and when at my 2 week post baby visit my doctor found my thyroid was enlarged.  That resulted in a visit to a dear friend who was also an ENT (Ear Nose and Throat) Surgeon.  He sent me for a few diagnostic tests which revealed that I was developing a Goiter.  Though I am often frustrated at all I have been through, I do get a good dose of humor when I think that I could have a goiter.  If you don't know what that is, it would end up being a very large swelling at my throat - not pretty.  Not really funny either, but hey, it works for me, so I will chuckle thankfully at my own possible demise. 

Though my story is currently at the ENT and hasn't even gotten to the Endocrinologist, I eventually end up at there, and this definition gives you a general idea of what system is about to get violently rattled in my body - that is, thirteen years ago.  Here is the wikipedia explanation of the Endocrine system:

In physiology, the endocrine system is a system of glands, each of which secretes a type of hormone into the bloodstream to regulate the body. It derives from the Greek words endo meaning inside, within, and crinis for secrete. The endocrine system is an information signal system like the nervous system. Hormones are substances (chemical mediators) released from endocrine tissue into the bloodstream that attach to target tissue and allow communication among cells. Hormones regulate many functions of an organism, including mood, growth and development, tissue function, and metabolism. The field of study that deals with disorders of endocrine glands is endocrinology, a branch of internal medicine.


The endocrine system is made up of a series of ductless glands that produce chemicals called hormones. A number of glands that signal each other in sequence is usually referred to as an axis, for example, the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis. Typical endocrine glands are the pituitary, thyroid, and adrenal glands.

Yeah, I don't think I would pick it as my specialty.  If I could, I really wouldn't pick it as my disorder, but I don't get that luxury.  Actually, God picked it for me and I have to regularly remind myself that not only did He create me, He knows the hairs on my head.  And if He knows the hairs on my head, is it not a reasonable "assumption" that He also knows what is going on inside me?  So as I continue blogging I plan to continue this thread to tell you my health story as well as my journey through it all with God.  When I get really frustrated and want to stomp my feet or scream, (and sometimes I do) I remind myself that God knows me and my body and HE LOVES ME!  God is Good; All the Time.  And All the Time; God is Good.  Just keep saying that today. 

No comments: